New Hall

WaldenLocalOpeningOfNewHall20070915_200x380On September 15th 2007 we celebrated the opening of our renovated and extended Church Hall. The new extension provides a permanent home for our friends in the Salvation Army. After 20 years in the town for the first time it provides them with their own permanent base in the centre of Saffron Walden.

We retain the existing hall but it has been extended with new toilets, a modern kitchen and much needed storage space. The larger and more flexible space is a welcome addition to our Church facilities and for the many external organisations who made the original hall their home.

For both Churches the project has been an exciting journey. We met regularly to join in prayer and seek God’s purpose in our working together. We got to know each other through occasional joint services and by building friendship and trust by working together on fund raising projects such as our annual Funday.

We look forward to working together using our new facilities as a base from which to build on the outreach activities of both Churches for all the people of Saffron Walden, young and old.

originalChurchHall_200x142
The original Church hall’s foundation stone reads ‘Abbey Lane Jubilee Sunday Schools Sep 19 1861’. The date of the picture is probably around 1920.
hall2006_200x142
The original hall was altered and extended in the 1960’s. This picture was taken in 2002.

abbeyLaneNewHall_206x134 crowdAtTheOpening theBandPlayed